Costas A. Courcoubetis
Contact InfoAthens University of Economics and Business,
Department of Computer Science,
47A Evelpidon str. and 33 Lefkados str.
Athens 11362, Greece
Office: 809, Evelpidon building
Tel.: +30 210-8203653
Mob.: +30 6944-357951
Research page: www.nes.aueb.gr
- M.S., Ph.D. in Electrical Engineering and Computer Science, University of California, Berkeley (1977-82)
- Diploma of Electrical Engineer, National Technical University, Athens, Greece (1972-77)
- Economics in Telecommunications
- QoS in the Internet
- Smart Grids
- Operations research and applied probability
- Trilogy: Architecting the future Internet
- MMAPPS: Market Management of Peer-to-Peer Services
- M3I - Market Managed Multiservice Internet
- IST B-BONE: Broadcasting and Multicasting over Enhanced UMTS Mobile Broadband Networks
- Pricing wireless services in UMTS
- Bandwidth auctions
- Intelligent agents for end-systems
- Pricing Communication Networks: Economics, Technology and Modelling (Wiley, 2003, with R.R. Weber)
Selected Recent Presentations
- Interconnection Economics: issues and models (Telefonica 2012)
- Fair Background Data Transfers of Minimal Delay Impact (UC Berkeley 2011)
- Economic Issues in Shared Infrastructures (Catech 2009)
- Sharing Resources and Costs in Grids (Interperf 2008)
- Socioeconomic Issues in the Internet of the Future (FIA 2008)
- Socioeconomic Issues in the Internet: the case of congestion control (ETM 2010)
- Efficiency and Cooperation in the Routing of Flows (ETCS Workshop 2011)
- Asymptotics for Provisioning Problems of Peering Wireless LANs with Large Number of Participants (WIOPT 2004)
- C. Courcoubetis, A. Dimakis, M. Kanakakis. “Congestion Control for Background Data Transfers with Minimal Delay Impact”. submitted for publication. [pdf]
- C. Courcoubetis, A. Dimakis, M. Kanakakis. “Fair Congestion Control for Long-lived Background Flows”. International Conference on Network Games, Control and Optimization, Trento, Italy, October 2014 [pdf]
- C. Courcoubetis, A. Dimakis, M. Kanakakis. “Designing incentive compatible protocols for background data transfers”. In Communication Systems (ICCS), 2014 IEEE International Conference, (pp. 182-186), IEEE. [pdf]
- A. Kostopoulos, A. Dimakis, C. Courcoubetis. “Economic Incentives for Adopting Congestion Accountability Protocols”. 26th International Teletraffic Congress (ITC 26), Karlskrona, Sweden, September 2014 [pdf]
- L. Gyarmati, N. Laoutaris, K. Sdrolias, P. Rodriguez, C. Courcoubetis. “From advertising profits to bandwidth prices-A quantitative methodology for negotiating premium peering ”. W-PIN+NetEcon 2014: The joint Workshop on Pricing and Incentives in Networks and Systems, in conjunction with ACM SIGMETRICS, Austin, USA, 2014. [pdf]
- G. Thanos, C. Courcoubetis, E. Markakis and G. D. Stamoulis. “Design and Experimental Evaluation of Market Mechanisms for Participatory Sensing Environments ”.16th International Workshop on Agent-Mediated Electronic Commerce and Trading Agents Design and Analysis, May 2014, Paris, France. [pdf]
- G. Thanos, C. Courcoubetis, E. Markakis and G. D. Stamoulis. “Design and Experimental Evaluation of Market Mechanisms for Participatory Sensing Environments ”. Extended abstract, ACM Proceedings of the 13th International Conference on Autonomous Agents and Multiagent Systems (AAMAS 2014), May 5-9, 2014, Paris, France. [pdf]
- C. Courcoubetis, K. Sdrolias, R. Weber. “Revenue Models, Price Differentiation and Network Neutrality Implications in the Internet ”. W-PIN+NetEcon 2013: The joint Workshop on Pricing and Incentives in Networks and Systems, in conjunction with ACM SIGMETRICS, Pittsburgh, USA, 2013. [pdf]
- M. Kanakakis, M. Minou, C. Courcoubetis, G. D. Stamoulis, G. Thanos. “A Practical Iterative Price-Based Approach for Optimal Demand-Response ”. The Third International Conference on Smart Grids, Green Communications and IT Energy-aware Technologies, Lisbon, Portugal, 2013. [pdf]
- E. Agiatzidou, C. Courcoubetis, O. Dugeon, F. Johansen, G. D. Stamoulis. “Inter-domain Coordination Models ”. ETICS Workshop - Networking 2012, Prague. [pdf]
- C. Kalogiros, C. Courcoubetis, G. D. Stamoulis, Manos Dramitinos, Olivier Dugeon. “Socioeconomic Tussle Analysis of the ETICS Approach for Providing QoS-enabled Inter-domain Services ”. Future Network & Mobile Summit 2012, Berlin, Germany, July 2012.
- C. Courcoubetis, M. Dramitinos, G. D. Stamoulis. “Internet Interconnection Assured Quality Services: Issues and Strategic Impact”. Future Network & Mobile Summit 2012, Berlin, Germany, July 2012.
- C. Courcoubetis, A. Dimakis. "Fair Background Data Transfers of Minimal Delay Impact". IEEE INFOCOM, Orlando, Florida, March 2012 [pdf]
- C. Courcoubetis, A. Dimakis. "Fair Background Data Transfers of Minimal Delay Impact". Workshop in Capacity Sharing, Univ. of Stuttgart, Oct. 2011.
- C. Courcoubetis, R. Weber: "Economic Issues in Shared Infrastructures". IEEE/ACM Transactions on Networking, Vol 20, issue 2, 2011. [pdf]
- C. Courcoubetis and A. Dimakis. “Tariffs, Mechanisms and Equilibria at a Single Internet Link”. NETCOOP, 2009. [pdf]
- C. Courcoubetis, A. Dimakis, “Congestion Control and Pricing of Volume Intensive Applications”. ITC 21, Paris, September 2009. [pdf]
- G. Thanos, E. Agiatzidou, C. Courcoubetis, G. D. Stamoulis. "Grid Business Models", Book Chapter 5, Grid and Cloud Computing: A Business Perspective on Technology and Applications, ISBN: 978-3-642-05192-0, Springer, November 2009. [pdf]
- C. Courcoubetis, R. Weber. "Economic Issues in Shared Infrastructures". VISA 2009 Workshop, Barcelona, Spain, August 2009. ACM. [pdf]
- R. Mason, C. Courcoubetis, N. Miliou. "Grid Economics and Business Models". 6th International Workshop, GECON 2009, Delft, The Netherlands, August 2009. [pdf]
- D. Antos, C. Courcoubetis, G. D. Stamoulis. "Economic aspects of building software for service-oriented architectures". Concurrency and Computation: Practice and Experience, 2009. [pdf]
- C. Courcoubetis, C. Kalogiros, R. Weber. "Optimal Call Routing in VoIP", ITC 21, Paris, September 2009. [pdf]
- C. Kalogiros, C. Courcoubetis, P. Antoniadis, "WOICE: a Decentralized System for Ubiquitous VoIP Services", DIGIBIZ 2009, London, June 2009. [pdf]
- C. Courcoubetis, M. Dramitinos, T. Rayna, S. Soursos and G. D. Stamoulis “Market Mechanisms for Trading Grid Resources”, In Proc. of 26th International Workshop on Grid Economics and Business Models [Gecon 2008], pp. 58-72, Las Palmas, Spain, August 26, 2008 [pdf].
- J. Altman, C. Courcoubetis, G. D. Stamoulis, M. Dramitinos, T. Rayna, M. Risch and C. Bannick, “GridEcon: A Market Place for Computing Resources”, In Proc. of 26th International Workshop on Grid Economics and Business Models [Gecon 2008], pp. 185-196, Las Palmas, Spain, August 2008 [pdf]
- M. Dramitinos, G. D. Stamoulis, C. Courcoubetis. "An Auction Mechanism for Allocating the Bandwidth of Networks to their Users". Elsevier IEEE Computer Networks, 51:18 pp 4979-4996, December 2007 [pdf].
- G. Thanos, C. Courcoubetis, G. D. Stamoulis. "Adopting the Grid for Business Purposes: The Main Objectives and the Associated Economic Issues". The 4th International Workshop on Grid Economics and Business Models, GECON 2007, Proceedings, Pages 1-15, Lecture Notes in Computer Science (LNCS 4685), Springer 2007. [pdf]
- C. Courcoubetis, S. Soursos and R. Weber. Pricing Resources on Demand, Proc. of the 1st IEEE International Workshop on Bandwidth on Demand (BoD 2006), In conjunction with IEEE Globecom 2006, November 27, 2006, San Francisco, California, USA [pdf]
- C. Courcoubetis and R. Weber. Incentives for Large P2P Systems, IEEE Journal on Selected Areas in Telecommunications. [pdf]
- M. Dramitinos, G. D. Stamoulis and C. Courcoubetis. "A Random Walk Model for Studying Allocation Patterns in Auction-based Resource Allocation". In Proc. of 5th International Workshop on Advanced Internet Charging and QoS Technologies (ICQT 2006), Springer LNCS 4033, pp. 26-37, St Malo, France, June 27, 2006 [pdf]
- M. Dramitinos, G. D. Stamoulis and C. Courcoubetis. "Auction-based Resource Reservation in 3G Networks Serving Multicast". 15th IST Mobile Summit, Myconos, Greece, June 2006 [pdf]
- P. Antoniadis, C. Courcoubetis, and B. Strulo. "Incentives for Content Availability in Memory-less Peer-to-Peer File Sharing Systems". ACM SIGecom Exchanges, 5(4):11-20, July 2005. [pdf]
- M. Dramitinos, G. D. Stamoulis, C. Courcoubetis. "An Innovative Decision Support System for Bidding in Simultaneous Ascending Auctions". In proceedings of 7th IEEE Conference on E-Commerce Technology (IEEE CEC 2005), Munich, Germany, July 19-22 2005.
- P. Antoniadis, C. Courcoubetis, and R. Weber. An Asymptotically Optimal Scheme for P2P File Sharing. In Second Workshop on the Economics of Peer-to-Peer Systems, Harvard University, 2004. [pdf]
- P. Antoniadis, C. Courcoubetis, and R. Mason. Comparing Economic Incentives in Peer-to-Peer Networks. Special Issue on Network Economics, Computer Networks, Elsevier, 45(1):133-146, 2004. [pdf]
- C. Courcoubetis and R. Weber. Asymptotics for Provisioning Problems of Peering Wireless LANs with a Large Number of Participants. WiOpt'04: Modeling and Optimization in Mobile, Ad Hoc and Wireless Networks, University of Cambridge, UK, March, 2004. [pdf]
- Vasilios A. Siris, Costas Courcoubetis, and George Margetis. Service differentiation and performance of weighted window-based congestion control and packet marking algorithms in ECN networks. Computer Communications. Volume 26, Issue 4, 1 March 2003, Pages 314-326. [pdf]
- M. Dramitinos, C. Courcoubetis, G. D. Stamoulis, Auction-based Resource Reservation in 2.5/3G Networks, Kluwer/ACM Mobile Networks and Applications [MONET] special issue, 2003. [pdf]
- C. Courcoubetis, A. Dimakis, G.D. Stamoulis, Traffic Equivelance and Substitution in a Multiplexer with Applications to Dynamic Call Admission Control. IEEE/ACM Transactions on Networking.
- Introduction to Computer Science
- Network Economics
- Topics in Network Economics, The 2003 Lectures in Computer Science: Internet and Web: Crawling the Algorithmic Foundations, The Onassis Foundations Science Lecture Series. [pdf]
- Pricing the Internet, key-note presentation at IS&N 2000
- Pricing Models for Network Services, tutorial in ITC 99
Some Personal Information
- I also like playing the piano...
- When I was a student at NTUA (not long time ago...) with my friend Ilias Panagopoulos (he is on the left)
- Our latest skiing trip to Peisey Vallandry in December 2006: two family pictures (family1, family2), myself sharing feelings after a whole bottle of home-made Jenepi, and our amazing skiing professor Edmond (the best I had for many years!) in a strange position. Also some pictures of the skiing group with which we shared great moments! (f1,f2,f3,f4,f5,f6,f7).
- I also like gourmet cooking besides swimming and tennis
Some personal moments:
- A cruise in the islands (Aug. 2000)
- A moment from my piano diploma exam, June 2011.
- From my piano exams (video)