Network Economics and Systems Theory Lab
76 Patission Str., GR-10343, Athens
Antoniadou wing, 4th floor
Department of Informatics
Athens University of Economics and Business
- PhD in Computer Science
Thesis: Incentive-based caching mechanisms for overlay traffic management [pdf1] [pdf2]
Supervisor: Prof. George D. Stamoulis (AUEB)
Advisors: Prof. Costas Courcoubetis (AUEB), Prof. Burkhard Stiller (University of Zurich)
Athens University of Economics and Business, Department of Informatics , 09/2008 - 07/2013.
- MSc in Computer Science
Thesis: BitTorrent Optimization Approaches
Supervisor: Prof. George D. Stamoulis (AUEB)
Athens University of Economics and Business, Department of Informatics , 10/2006 - 07/2008.
- BEng in Computer and Communications Engineering
Thesis: Spatial modulation and scheduling techniques for optimal performance in wireless networks
Supervisor: Lect. Iordanis Koutsopoulos (UTH), Prof. Leandros Tassiulas (UTH)
University of Thessaly, Department of Computer and Communications Engineering, 10/2001 - 10/2006.
- HERACLITUS II - Enhancement of research workforce through doctoral research, funding duration: 09/2010 - 07/2013, Greek Ministry of Education and Longlife Learning, NSRF - evaluation: excellent (10/10)
- Network economics, incentive mechanisms, pricing
- Applications of optimization theory and game theory in communication networks
- Mechanisms and architectures employing caches
- Peer-to-peer architectures
- Social awareness as a means to achieve efficient traffic management
- Cloud computing architectures
- Wireless networking technologies (WiFi, WiMax) and positioning
- Market analysis of xDSL and FTTx technologies
- SmartenIT: Socially-aware Management of New Overlay Application Traffic combined with Energy Efficiency in the Internet, FP7, STREP, 11/2012 - present, Focus on designing and evaluating mechanisms for economic management of traffic generated by cloud-based applications and services w.r.t. energy efficiency constraints.
- Co-writer of funded FP7 Research Proposal for project ?SmartenIT: Socially-aware Management of New Overlay Application Traffic combined with Energy Efficiency in the Internet?, graded with 14.5/15.0, 2012
- SESERV: Socio-Economic Services for European Research Projects, FP7, CSA, 01/2011 - 08/2012, Focus on socio-economic evaluation for Information-centric architectures.
- EuroNF: Anticipating the Network of the Future, FP7, Network of Excellence, JRA3.2: SLAs, Pricing and Quality-of-Experience, 01/2008 - 07/2012, Focus on designing mechanisms for QoE improvement & cost-benefit analysis.
- SmoothIT: Simple Economic Management Approaches of Overlay Traffic in Heterogeneous Internet Topologies, FP7, STREP, 01/2008 ? 03/2011, Focus on designin, and evaluating mechanisms for management of traffic generated by P2P applications.
- EuroNF: Anticipating the Network of the Future, FP7, Network of Excellence, SJRP ISPeer: ISP-friendly Peer-assisted Content Distribution, 01/2009 - 12/2009, Focus on developing modeling tools for the analysis of P2P networks performance.
- Hellenic Telecommunications Organization (OTE) S.A.
- Department of Measurement and Wireless Technologies, Subdivision of Laboratories and New Technologies, Maroussi, 10/2012 - present
- Department of Development of Systems and Procedures for Customer Service and Project Management, Subdivision of Operational Support and Quality Assurance, Maroussi, 01/2012 - 10/2012
- Department of Technical Support of New Services (IPTV, VoIP, VDSL, SAT TV), Paleo Psychiko, 06/2008 - 01/2012
- AUEB, Computer lab of MBA International program, Administrator, 09/2009 - 08/2010
- ?????? S.A., Paleo Psychiko, Department of Technical Support of Pilot Services IPTV and VoIP, 02/2007 - 06/2008
- UNISYSTEMS S.A., Athens, Department of Hardware Engineering, Internship - Support of electronic automation of APLHA BANK (Athens 2004 Olympic Games sponsor), 07/2004 - 08/2004
- MOTOR OIL S.A., Corinth, Department of Internal Control, Internship, 07/2003 - 08/2003
Academic experienceTeaching assistant
- Computer Networks, MSc program in Computer Science, AUEB
instructor: Prof. George D. Stamoulis, winter semester of years 2009-2012
Collaboration with the following students on their theses:
- Christos Papadopoulos, "Overview of cloud based applications and characterization of their traffic and energy efficiency"
MSc program in Information Systems, Department of Informatics, AUEB, supervisor: Prof. George D. Stamoulis, 02/2013
- George Darzanos, "Socially-aware traffic management mechanisms for traffic stemming from cloud-based applications"
MSc program in Computer Science, Department of Informatics, AUEB, supervisor: Prof. George D. Stamoulis, 06/2013
- Konstantinos Kostis, "Implementation and evaluation of a cloud-based peer-to-peer protocol"
Department of Informatics, AUEB, supervisor: Prof. George D. Stamoulis, 06/2013
Journals: European Transactions on Telecommunications, Optimization Letters (Springer), Journal of Communications and Networks, Network Protocol and Algorithms, Transactions on Network and Service Management. Conferences: IFIP Networking 2012, ETICS workshop 2012, ValueTools 2011?2009, NGI 2010, ETM workshop 2010, SETM workshop 2013, ICNC ISA 2014.
- TPC member in Joint SmartenIT/eCOUSIN Workshop on Social-aware Economic Traffic Management for Overlay and Cloud Applications (SETM 2013), Zurich, Switzerland, October, 2013.
- M. Seufert, G. Darzanos, I. Papafili, R. Lapacz, V. Burger, T. Hossfeld. “Socially-Aware Traffic Management”. to be published in Social Informatics: The Social Impact of Interactions between Humans and IT, Springer Proceedings in Complexity, Zweig, K., Neuser, W., Pipek, V., Rohde, M., Scholtes, I. (Eds.), ISBN 978-3-319-09377-2, October, 14, 2014. [pdf].
- D. Papadimitriou, T. Zahariadis, P. Martinez-Julia, I. Papafili, V. Morreale, F. Torelli, B. Sales, P. Demeester, Design Principles for the Future Internet Architecture in FIABook Future Internet ? From Technological Promises to Reality, Editor(s): F. Alvarez, et al., IOS Press Books Online, May 2012
- A. Kostopoulos, I. Papafili, C. Kalogiros, T. Leva, N. Zhang, D. Trossen, A Tussle Analysis for Information-centric Networking architectures in FIABook Future Internet - From Technological Promises to Reality, Editor(s): F. Alvarez, et al., IOS Press Books Online, May 2012
- Ioanna Papafili, George Stamoulis, Rafal Stankiewicz, Simon Oechsner, Konstantin Pussep, Robert Wojcik, Jerzy Domzal, Dirk Staehle, Frank Lehrieder, Burkhard Stiller, Assessment of Economic Management of Overlay Traffic: Methodology & Results in FIABook The Future Internet: Achievements and Technological Promises, ISBN 978-3-642-20897-3. Editor(s):J. Domingue, et al., IOS Press Books Online, May 2011
- T. Ho?feld, D. Hausheer, F. Hecht, F. Lehrieder, S. Oechsner, I. Papafili, P. Racz, S. Soursos, D. Staehle, G. D. Stamoulis, P. Tran-Gia, B. Stiller, An Economic Traffic Management Approach to Enable the TripleWin for Users, ISPs, and Overlay Providers in FIABook Towards the Future Internet - A European Research Perspective, ISBN 978-1-60750-007-0. Editor(s): G. Tselentis, et al., pp.:24, IOS Press Books Online, May 2009
- I. Papafili, G. D. Stamoulis, Incentive-based Caching Mechanisms for Overlay Traffic Management (under preparation)
- M. Seufert, T. Hossfeld, G. S. Machado, T. Bocek, M. Biancani, P. Cruschelli, R. Lapacz, I. Papafili, K. Wajda, A Survey of Cloud Services and Potential Collaborative Optimization Approaches (submitted)
- G. Dan, T. Hossfeld, S. Oechsner, P. Cholda, R. Stankiewicz, I. Papafili, G. D. Stamoulis, Interaction patterns between P2P content distribution systems and ISPs, IEEE Communications Magazine, Vol. 49, Is. 5, pp. 222-230, May 2011
- K. Wadja, R. Stankiewicz, Z. Dulinski, T. Hossfeld, M. Seufert, D. Hausheer, M. Wichtlhuber, I. Papafili, M. Dramitinos, P. Cruschelli, S. Soursos, R. Lapacz, B. Stiller. “ Socially-aware Management of New Overlay Applications Traffic - The Optimization Potentials of the SmartenIT Approach”. in the 6th International Conference on Mobile Networks and Management (MONAMI 2014), September 22-24, 2014, Wuerzburg, Germany. [pdf].
- G. Darzanos, I. Papafili, G. D. Stamoulis. “A Socially Aware ISP-friendly Mechanism for Efficient Content Delivery”. 26th International Teletraffic Congress (ITC 26), Karlskrona, Sweden,September 2014. [pdf]
- I. Papafili, K. Wajda, R. Lapacz, A. Predieri, T. Bocek, M. Seufert. “ An Overview of Application Traffic Management Approaches: Challenges and Potential Extensions”. 8th International Conference on Innovative Mobile and Internet Services in Ubiquitous Computing 2014 (IMIS-2014), July 2-4, 2014. [pdf].
- M. Dramitinos, N. Zhang, M. Kantor, J. Costa, I. Papafili, Video Delivery over Next Generation Cellular Networks, Workshop on Social-aware Economic Traffic Management for Overlay and Cloud Applications (SETM), Zurich, Switzerland, October 18, 2013.
- M. Seufert, G. Darzanos, V. Burger, I. Papafili, T. Hossfeld, Socially-Aware Traffic Management (extended abstract), Workshop SozioInformatik 2013, Koblenz, Germany, September 2013.
- I. Papafili, J. Rueckert, P. Poullie, S. Soursos, T. Bocek, K. Wajda, D. Hausheer, G. D. Stamoulis, B. Stiller, SmartenIT Cloud Traffic Management: Approach and Architectural Considerations, Future Network and Mobile Summit 2013, FuNeMS 2013, Lisbon, Portugal, July 2013.
- I. Papafili, S. Soursos, G. D. Stamoulis, A Novel Game-Theoretic Framework for Modeling Interactions of ISPs Anticipating Users? Reactions, in Proc. of the 6th International Conference on Performance Evaluation Methodologies and Tools, VALUETOOLS?12, Cargese, France, October 2012.
- I. Papafili, S. Soursos, G.D. Stamoulis, A game-theoretic Framework for ISP Interactions in the Context of ETM (extended abstract), EuroNF Workshop on Traffic and Congestion Control for the Future Internet (TCCFI), Volos, Greece, March 2011.
- I. Papafili, G.D. Stamoulis, F. Lehrieder, B. Kleine, S. Oechsner, Cache Capacity Allocation to Overlay Swarms, 5th International Workshop on Self-Organizing Systems (IWSOS'2011), Karlsruhe, Germany, February 23th-25th, 2011.
- I. Papafili, G. D. Stamoulis, A Markov Model for the Evaluation of Cache Insertion on Peer-to-Peer Performance, EuroNF NGI Conference, Paris, France, June 2nd-4th, 2010.
- M.A.C. Rodriguez, J.A.S. Garcia, A.M. Martin-Carnerero, P. Racz, F. Hecht, S. Spirou, I. Papafili, G.D. Stamoulis, W. Kellerer, K. Wajda, NGN Usage in Future Internet Scenarios, MobileSummit 2010, Florence, Italy, June 16th-18th, 2010.
- P. Racz, F. Hecht, Hasan, B. Stiller, S. Soursos, G. D. Stamoulis, I. Papafili, M. A. Callejo Rodriguez, S. Spirou, Economic Traffic Management for Overlay Networks, CT-MobileSummit 2009, Conference, Santander, Spain, June 10th-12th, 2009.
- I. Papafili, S. Soursos, G. D. Stamoulis, Improvement of BitTorrent Performance and Inter-Domain Traffic by Inserting ISP-owned Peers, 6th International Workshop on Internet Charging and QoS Technologies (ICQT'09), Aachen, Germany, May 2009.
- S. Oechsner, S. Soursos, I. Papafili, T. Hossfeld, G. D. Stamoulis, B. Stiller, M. A. Callejo, D. Staehle, A Framework of Economic Traffic Management Employing Self-Organization Overlay Mechanisms ,3rd International Workshop On Self-Organizing Systems, (IWSOS'08), Vienna, Austria, December 2008.
- Information Flows in an Economic Aware Context, Session on Novel Networking and Relationship with Applications - The Value of Information Flows between Applications and Networks, Future Internet Assembly (FIA) Aalborg, Denmark, May 2012.
- Future Internet Design Principles - New Seeds: Exchange of Information and Sustain the investment, FIArch Group workshop, EC INFSO, Brussels, February 2012.
- Insertion of IoPs: Cache capacity allocation & cost-benefit analysis, Euro-NF plenary meeting, Kaiserslautern, June 29-30, 2011.
- Improvement of Users' QoE and Reduction of ISPs' Cost by Insertion of IoPs, Communication Services Group (CSG) Department of Informatics, University of Zurich, Zurich, February 2011.
- Insertion of ISP-owned Peer in BitTorrent Networks, EuroNF Workshop on Socio-Economic issues, Athens University of Economics and Business, Athens, October 2008.
- G. Darzanos, I. Papafili, G. D. Stamoulis, A model for posting and selection of videos by the users of an On-line Social Network, Workshop on Social-aware Economic Traffic Management for Overlay and Cloud Applications (SETM), Zurich, Switzerland, October 18, 2013.
- M. Dramitinos, N. Zhang, M. Kantor, J. Costa, I. Papafili, Business Analysis of Video Delivery over Next Generation Cellular Networks, Workshop on Social-aware Economic Traffic Management for Overlay and Cloud Applications (SETM), Zurich, Switzerland, October 18, 2013.
- J. P. Fernandez-Palacios Gimenez, M. A. Callejo Rodriguez, H. Hasan, T. Ho?feld, D. Staehle, Z. Despotovic, W. Kellerer, K. Pussep, I. Papafili, G. D. Stamoulis, B. Stiller, A New Approach for Managing Traffic of Overlay Applications of the SmoothIT Project. 2nd International Conference on Autonomous Infrastructure, Management and Security (AIMS '08), Bremen, Germany, July 2008.
- Fundamentals of Wireless Communications (in greek), authors: Tse David, Viswanath Pramod, translation team: S. Alchatzidis, L. Gkatzikis, I. Koutsopoulos, I. Papafili, S. Platonis, M. P. Chrysanthopoulou, scient. resp.: Prof. Leandros Tassiulas, publisher: KLEIDARITHMOS, ISBN: 978-960-461-228-4, 2009.